Help! What is this?

Hi davidjones1105,

It’s most likely part of another bipolar cell or possibly a glial cell. The reason it looks different and has so many small segment bits is that the intracellular organelles such as mitochondria, etc. are visible.

When the e2198 dataset was prepared, an unconventional stain was used to mark the boundaries between neurons while leaving intracellular organelles unstained. The process wasn’t perfect which is why sometimes you see organelles.

Best,
M.

1 Like

Hi M, That makes sense. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Dave.

Has anyone ever seen this? It’s so… Ominous.

2 Likes

Yup! That’s probably a blood vessel :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ahh, so cool! I could see its inside swirl like some kind of ink jet under water while scrolling through. :grin:

I’m pretty sure at least some of my red spots are actually correct in this cube.

Hi shadow_8472,

Thanks for reporting! Yes, several of those nubs do belong :slight_smile: Remember that review mode shows how your trace compared to other player’s submissions and it doesn’t always mean that it’s the “final” consensus of the cube.

We consider a cube to reach consensus after about four players have played the cube. In the case of this cube, it looks like you were the third player. The next player after you added in those nubs too, so the nubs were already in the consensus when I went to check the cube (I then went ahead and added an additional missing nub). If you check your review mode for that cube 4912603 now, you’ll find that it has been updated.

Best,
M.

2 Likes

Mostly good trace with one missing spot. I’ve highlighted the neuron in post I believe the bit actually belongs to. If I’m wrong, I’d like to know why so I don’t make the same mistake again.

out from your picture it looks like the yellow and blue is the same branch

Dark blue, green, and yellow were what I was graded on. Cyan was for illustrative purposes only. (I don’t know where else to post about these errors.)

1 Like

Cube 4913731

I have not submitted this one yet. I believe this to be a seed merger in a critical area.

yes, removed it. it is part of a glial cell

Any of the following options work! You can post here, ask in chat or send us an email at support@eyewire.org :slight_smile:

50/50 Seed Merger
Cube 4914851
Nothing to select in either case, so I’m just submitting and move on.

Edit: it looks like I was the trailblazer.

I’m sus of a merger where I’ve indicated with my pointer. Zoomed out 3D looks a bit off, but everything looks passable close up. I’ve been losing cubes on this workstation today while AFK, so I’m going to go ahead and submit the whole thing in the apparent absence of anyone online and active who is able to help.

Hi shadow_8472,

Thanks for reporting! For the first cube, #4914851, the two seed pieces are okay (even though it is suspicious!). They just happen to be two nubs from the same bouton as you can see here:

For the second cube, #4882357, that green nub checks out! It belongs and your fellow Eyewirers agree by adding it too :slight_smile:

Cheers,
M.

Very naughty cube. Cube 4914732

• Tiny seed
  • Seed not touching cube wall
  • The most obvious traces in 2D and 3D look bad in their counterparts.
  • Badly shifted slice

I’m not comfortable with how this autonapse looks. I’ve never seen anything like this before. But the trace itself looks clear. I’m submitting without it.

Edit: the trace was included. I still don’t like the look of the 3D.

Edit 2 due to a 3 reply rule I bumped into:

What is going on in this cube? I found a logical-looking trace going through a black patch – tough to see in a single screenshot.

Edit 3

I got a little lazy on this one, but I feel like there should be something there.

Apparent seed merger.
Cube 4915639

Edit: Cube #4915859
This cube has a major discontinuity, but I believe the seed is good nevertheless.

Edit 2: Now I’m unable to respond in here at all once this post becomes “too old to edit or delete” until someone else posts.

4914732 was a wrong seed merger
4915149 is good
4915355 this is called a black spill trace, the cell walls did get partly destroyed during the preparation of the sample making the colour used to mark the cell walls bleed into the cell.
4915013 another wrong seed merger
4915639 is good both pieces are from same parent
4915859 i see nothing wrong about this a simple corner cube, maybe wrong id?

2 Likes