Eyewire freezing and crashing Google Chrome

Hi… new development on logging in this morning. I turned the sound off (the volume icon), and in the first cube I started to work in - half way through it froze and then Chrome crashed. I have repeated this a couple of times now.  For what it’s worth - here’s the crash report from Chrome. https://docs.google.com/document/d/13foghTqyEKSolPiTSVqr8L5FSABRxg4sH-HvMAzvyb4/edit  When I retried it, a different cube was loading up, so it didn’t seem cube dependant.

Oh no! I’m just having bad luck with you lately @smalljude. This happens every time, or just sometimes? You’ve only noticed it since the sound icon appeared (today)? Does it still happen if you do not mute the sound?

Are you able to use the chat at the bottom left of the screen (before & after loading a cube)?

In the mean time I will try to sift through the crash report.

Sorry for the trouble & thanks for reporting!

I’m so sorry… I seem to be such a troublemaker. I’m going to try all those things out now (I have to admit I didn’t even realise there was a chat!) … Let me try and be more rigorous and systematic with my testing and I’ll let you know.

OK… so I cleared my cookies etc, and that seems to have made a huge difference.  I can now see the chat window (and what I type in it) which I couldn’t before, and can turn sound on and off without issue. Best of all… fast fast fast!  Sweet as! :slight_smile:  This little Kiwi is happy! Sorry about all the hassle though. :frowning:

Oh don’t worry about being a trouble maker.  You’re helping us find all the bugs!

Rachel knows all about that!

Haha… glad to oblige :wink:

Eecks… so I’m not out of the woods yet.  Logged in to Eyewire, started working and part of the way through the 1st cube, same thing happened. Freeze and then Chrome crash.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AtWuPeu6DH_l1ZIpW5qOueTjYsuLeXhV4sOxloHBuKI/edit  That’s the report.

So I cleared cookies, restarted and started working.  The noises were annoying, so I turned them off (that didn’t seem to work so I had to keep clicking on the sound icon).  Then… same thing happened. Eyewire freezes and Chrome crashes. Report is here  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GZ4qDudPTBfZercBUKWz80WuBMfrWzA8PLMiwGNH9nA/edit

Am I doing something really stupid?

Same here smalljude… but I dont have time at the moment to mess with it… later Ill report with more details

Also the same problem… and FireFox also crashed :frowning:

same problem with Chrome and Firefox
Ciao
Mario

Chrome is crashing for me as well. And it’s not working at all for Safari or Firefox. 

Looks like a widespread problem… hopefully we’ll here from the Eyewire team soon. 

Yup, got a crash already on the second cube, FF 15, 32bit Debian.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town.

I’m aware of the problem, trying to debug today. Thanks for your patience.

now everything is working fine.

Thanks  echo

Ciao
mario

For the record this is not yet fixed, I probably won’t be finished till tomorrow. Sorry for the trouble everyone.

Thanks Mark… sorry you had to come back to chaos!   Good luck with the fix :slight_smile:

Okay, I’ve finished a bit of a refactor which cleaned up a few memory leaks, but I’m not convinced that’s what’s causing the issues. Unfortunately I haven’t yet been able to reproduce this, but if you could check if it’s still crashing I’d appreciate it.

If it’s still crashing I have a few questions:

- It crashes regardless of whether you have sounds turned on or off?

- Since it’s often crashing for people on the second cube – before it crashes are you able to successfully send a message in the chat?

- Might any of you have eyewire open on two computers? (one at work, one at home)?

Hi, I’ve just done a few tests.  I’m not having any crashes so far which is great.  There seem to be a few new buggy things though. 

I tested with sound on and sound off (I found the sounds rather irritating - sorry).  Sometimes, it takes several clicks on the sound icon to get it to work, but it doesn’t seem to be associated with any big problems now. :slight_smile:

The Eyewire logo at the top is chopped off (see this pic https://picasaweb.google.com/109588210127993825727/EyewireError#5795232165785212402 ) and the new serif font isn’t fitting well with the buttons in the submit window. 

An fyi, it takes quite a while for the “Start Playing” button to work on the login page (this is not a new problem). I presume this is because it’s loading the 3d neuron, but I have to click 5-6 times to get to play.  Is there any way to disable that from loading?

I’ll keep working and let you know if anything else happens.  I only work on the one computer, in regards to your earlier question.   Thanks for all the effort in getting this fixed :slight_smile: