Experiencing slow cube loading or other actions on Eyewire? Please comment here

Hi everyone,

We are still trying to troubleshoot all the slow loading times, etc., and it’s really a doozy! What would really help us at the moment is if we could aggregate a uniform set of information from anyone experiencing slowness on Eyewire. So please consider this thread a makeshift survey, and if you’re experiencing slowness please answer all of the following questions:

1. What is your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux)? If you can provide the exact version number, that’s more helpful. Here is how to find this out, if you don’t know it.

2. What is your browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, Opera, etc.)? If you can provide the exact version number, that’s more helpful. In Firefox, go to about:, and in Chrome, go to chrome://chrome.

Please note that we cannot guarantee Eyewire will run on any browsers besides Firefox or Chrome, which in both cases must be 64-bit. Chris and I recommend Firefox over Chrome in general, and also Chrome 59+ has apparently doubled cube loading times compared to Chrome 58. The developers will be in touch with Google about this, but in the meantime, please be forewarned; thanks @Kfay for spotting this.

3. Which tasks experience slowness for you? Examples: cube loading in normal gameplay, cube loading in inspect mode, heatmap loading in overview, submitting, skipping, reaping, flagging, loading the “change cell” menu, loading user profiles.
3a. If cube loading is slow, what is the slow part of it? Examples: transitioning into the cube, the overview disappearing, the progress bar reaching 100, the 3D appearing, or something else.

4. What is “slowness” for you? Normal Eyewire cubes (not zebrafish) are supposed to take a maximum of 3 seconds to load, for instance, zebrafish cubes a little more. Are you experiencing double this time? More than double? 30 seconds to a minute? Etc.

5. Are you running any third-party extensions or add-on scripts for Eyewire? The main examples would be @eldendaf’s Scouts’ Log extension or @crazyman4865’s tabbed chat script.

6. What is your rank(s) on Eyewire (Scout, Scythe, etc.)?

7. How long has it been since you noticed a significant increase in loading times?

8. How much RAM (random access memory) does your computer have? If your RAM is lower than our recommended 8 GB, this may exacerbate loading problems. Here is how to check your RAM on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

9. How fast is your network connection? If you are on a connection slower than 50 to 150 Mbps, this may also exacerbate loading problems. You can check your network speed here (make sure Flash is enabled if it prompts you).

10. If you have time, please open your browser console as you perform activities on Eyewire and provide us screenshots or copypasted text of what errors you see, especially if you see 403 errors. If you don’t know how to view the browser console, here’s how. Bonus points if you can provide us with a screen recording of the activities and the errors in real time.

11. On average, how often do you refresh Eyewire in hope of solving the slowness? Does it do anything?

We sincerely appreciate any answers you can provide to the above, and we hope to find the root of the problem soon! If you know someone is experiencing slowness and they haven’t posted here yet, please point them this way. And even if you have sent us information about this already, please repeat it here so that we have it all in one place. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello

1. What is your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux)? If you can provide the exact version number, that’s more helpful. Here is how to find this out, if you don’t know it.
Windows 8.1 Pro

2. What is your browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, Opera, etc.)? If you can provide the exact version number, that’s more helpful. In Firefox, go to about:, and in Chrome, go to chrome://chrome.
Chrome 60.0.3112.78 (64-bit)
But there’s an interesting thing. In the console I can see a warning from omni.js saying, that I’m using not a 64-bit version:

EDIT: As expected, on Chrome 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit) (portable) everything works fine. Fresh cube loads about 3s, with the maximum speed of my Internet connection.
ANOTHER EDIT: Now (around 11:45 AM HQ Time) the slow loading is also on the older version of Chrome.

3. Which tasks experience slowness for you? Examples: cube loading in normal gameplay, cube loading in inspect mode, heatmap loading in overview, submitting, skipping, reaping, flagging, loading the “change cell” menu, loading user profiles.
The slow part is loading a cube both in normal play (when it wasn’t preloaded, e.g. fast playing one cube after another) and during inspection. Ocassionally waiting for info in the SL’s toolbox and waiting for adding an SC vote is slow (a couple of seconds).
EDIT: History in SL still loads very slow, no matter the browser version.

3a. If cube loading is slow, what is the slow part of it? Examples: transitioning into the cube, the overview disappearing, the progress bar reaching 100, the 3D appearing, or something else.
The slow part is loading slices. First 50% is almost immediately, then it takes sometimes about half a second for each percent and for each bunch of slides to be added to the 2D.

4. What is “slowness” for you? Normal Eyewire cubes (not zebrafish) are supposed to take a maximum of 3 seconds to load, for instance, zebrafish cubes a little more. Are you experiencing double this time? More than double? 30 seconds to a minute? Etc.
The slowness is loading a non-preloaded cube, which is taking often over 15s.

5. Are you running any third-party extensions or add-on scripts for Eyewire? The main examples would be @eldendaf’s Scouts’ Log extension or @crazyman4865’s tabbed chat script.
I’m using both SL (EDIT: since it’s been integrated with EW, I don’t use the addon) and tabbed chat and also a couple of my own Tampermonkey scripts, but none of them should slow down the loading in any way (there are nor requesting to the server, neither any CPU heavy processing).

Mystic and Moderator.

7. How long has it been since you noticed a significant increase in loading times?
Not sure, but I would say, about 3-4 months.

8. How much RAM (random access memory) does your computer have? If your RAM is lower than our recommended 8 GB, this may exacerbate loading problems. Here is how to check your RAM on Windows, Mac, or Linux.
16 GB

9. How fast is your network connection? If you are on a connection slower than 50 to 150 Mbps, this may also exacerbate loading problems. You can check your network speed here (make sure Flash is enabled if it prompts you).
20 Mbps. Although, there are about 8MB of data downloaded for each cube, so it should ideally take a little over 3 s to load it all (64Mb/20Mbps ~= 3s).
I was thinking, that maybe the problem was, that Chrome has only 6 concurrent connections per host hard-coded (without any possibility to increase it), but I’ve downloaded Chromium source code, modified it to 60 connections per host, compiled it and it worked more or less the same.
I’ve also tried it on Firefox with connections per host increased to 15, but it didn’t help (it was faster, than in Chrome, but changing number of connections didn’t change the loading speed).

10. If you have time, please open your browser console as you perform activities on Eyewire and provide us screenshots or copypasted text of what errors you see, especially if you see 403 errors. If you don’t know how to view the browser console, here’s how1. Bonus points if you can provide us with a screen recording of the activities and the errors in real time.
I’m adding two screenshots from the Network tab. The first one shows, that there is some slowness in loading all those ajax files. The other one shows, when the last slide was loaded. It also shows, how big was TTFB. The TTFB is about the same for all the slides. Not sure, if it should be that large. EDIT: On the older Chrome TTFBs are even larger, so it’s probably not the problem.

11. On average, how often do you refresh Eyewire in hope of solving the slowness? Does it do anything?
I don’t refresh at all to solve then slowness problem, but from time to time the WebGL crashes and I have to refresh the page. Though, lately there are much less of those crashes (it used to be more than 5 a day and today, I think, I didn’t have any).

1 Like
  1. Windows 10 pro 14393
  2. Chrome 59.0.3071.115 64bits
  3. All cube loading and cell loading
    3.a) Image loading
  4. 10s

5. scouts log
  6. scyth but when i was scouts i’ve the same problem
  7. since the ton of “storage.googleapis.com” in the request devpanel
  8. 16 GB
  9. 1 gbps
    10 see 7)
  10. refresh don’t solve the problem

don’t have any problem on firefox 54.0.1 64 bits with pipeline activate

1 Like

1. What is your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux)?
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

2. What is your browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, Opera, etc.)?
Chrome 60.0.3112.78 (64-bit)

3. Which tasks experience slowness for you?

EDIT: I can now confirm the slowness is caused by chrome itself. I reverted to version 58 and cubes were loading instantly. Chrome 59 released June 5 so it looks like I had it when I started playing in late june, hence why it was always slow for me.

Cube loading when inspecting non-preloaded cubes - slide loading takes around of 10-20s. This depends on the time of day - mornings tend to load faster than evenings (european time).

4. What is “slowness” for you?
See 3. At an internet speed of 100 mbps, at ideal conditions cubes would load in less than a second.

5. Are you running any third-party extensions or add-on scripts for Eyewire?
The integrated SL and my chat script.

Scythe

Since I started playing again near the end of June

8. How much RAM (random access memory) does your computer have?
16 GB

9. How fast is your network connection?
100 mbps down/15 mbps up

10. If you have time, please open your browser console as you perform activities on Eyewire and provide us screenshots or copypasted text of what errors you see, especially if you see 403 errors.
I’ll update this when I’m able to get screenshots, but I mostly get overview meshes 403s.

Only when it runs out of RAM and crashes. Usually doesn’t solve anything

1 Like

Hi,

Okay so i’ll answer the q’s x2 for laptop and main pc

1. What is your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux)? If you can provide the exact version number, that’s more helpful. Here is how to find this out, if you don’t know it.1

lap: win 10 pro 64
MPC: win 10 pro 64

1. What is your browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, Opera, etc.)? If you can provide the exact version number, that’s more helpful. In Firefox, go to about:, and in Chrome, go to chrome://chrome.

Lap+MPC: chrome latest 60 version

1. Which tasks experience slowness for you? Examples: cube loading in normal gameplay, cube loading in inspect mode, heatmap loading in overview, submitting, skipping, reaping, flagging, loading the “change cell” menu, loading user profiles.

ok so. cube loading in normal play has slowed down quite a bit, the first cube is ok, then progressively each preloaded cube after that is slower and slower until i start seeing checkboards and rather than the cube being fully prelaoded the percentage meter (right of 2d) each cube goes slower and slower to get to 100%

1. What is “slowness” for you? Normal Eyewire cubes (not zebrafish) are supposed to take a maximum of 3 seconds to load, for instance, zebrafish cubes a little more. Are you experiencing double this time? More than double? 30 seconds to a minute? Etc.

1st played cube is very fast then progressively it can take up to more than a minute for 2D to fully load even if i have the preload option enabled in gear cog icon settings.

additionally to the cube loading it’s the scythe parts of the game that are…well frustrating lol, i’ll give some examples.

inspecting: it can take a few seconds/tries to inspect a (each) cube, additionally especially in the evenings i may click inspect 1-# times for it to show me the “you have no avail. cubes in this cell” popup with an orange dot in the uibox, then i have to refresh or open another ew tab bc otherwise it’s 403/4s and not letting me inspect/complete etc (NOTE: I have not really had the chance to fully try after monday b/c im on vacas and hotel wifi with laptop and i forgot the mouse lol)

completing: same probs with inspecting. i click on the complete button and it may take up to 15 secs for the cube to get completed, with the spinning bar on the uibox, a lot of times the cube does not get complted and the orange dot is there and i have to refresh etc.

reaping: after managing to inspect, trace/remove/change whatever I inspected the cube for, i click on reap button and it will spin for a good few secs (anything from 3 to 20), then it may not “reap” meaning 404 and reap button deep green colour again and if i click reap again endless 404 (forbidden) “task/###/reap” not found errors. so either rrefresh or open a new ew tab, it seems to allow me to reap after that. then after it reaps (with or without new tab) it shows the leaderboard after submit then i click away and sometimes i have to wait a few secs before im ejected from cube back to overview)

Sometimes while i am in inspect i get the pop up for out of cubes and am ejected to overview without having reaped lol

Also another problem in inspect i was having a lot prior to monday. I would inspect the 2d would load but no 3D and no seed/trace in paint, so i have to enable parents, find and retrace seed+trace, almost in every inspected cube. I think from what little i’ve inspected this far in laptop+hotel wifi it’s been better but not “perfect” (never happeninig) but i’ll have a better idea from saturday/sunday when i return home.

Also when i select a cube i can have the spinning bar/slow to show me cube details/player submitted names etc for anything up to 15-20 secs (per cube) and ofc sometimes i get the orange dot instead.

1. Are you running any third-party extensions or add-on scripts for Eyewire? The main examples would be @eldendaf’s Scouts’ Log extension or @crazyman4865’s tabbed chat script.

i have uninstalled SL from my browser since it has been integrated in ew, but as a scythe/mystic i am running it integrated. I have crazy’s script.

I have been having these probs in increasing frequency and intensity since Early February, i think I emailed abt it at some point in April (If Im not mistaken) I think it was after i returned from my easter trip, so probly sometime in April.

1. What is your rank(s) on Eyewire (Scout, Scythe, etc.)?

well…all of them :stuck_out_tongue: (scout/scythe/mystic/mentor/moderator) lol

overall the problems with scythe tools and slower loading have started since Feb. as aforementioned but i’d say that it’s become almost unplayable since early-mid june.

1. How much RAM (random access memory) does your computer have? If your RAM is lower than our recommended 8 GB, this may exacerbate loading problems. Here is how to check your RAM on Windows, Mac, or Linux.

laptop has 12gig ram
MPC has 60gigs ram

1. How fast is your network connection? If you are on a connection slower than 50 to 150 Mbps, this may also exacerbate loading problems. You can check your network speed here2 (make sure Flash is enabled if it prompts you).
    home connection: is 50mb/s and as of 10th of this month it’ll be 100mb/s lol
    hotel wifi i dunno but it’s very fast in comparison to other hotels ive played ew in so i’d say probably above 24mb/s

2. If you have time, please open your browser console as you perform activities on Eyewire and provide us screenshots or copypasted text of what errors you see, especially if you see 403 errors. If you don’t know how to view the browser console, here’s how1. Bonus points if you can provide us with a screen recording of the activities and the errors in real time.

I dont think these contribute to the slowness (from what ive been told dstrip is the meshing of the overview?) but they are 403 errors so here ya go lol:

Ah here’s some of the most common 403’s i see relating to the heatmaps (scythe vision in this case)
most usually i see them while scouting/RGying, i reap/complete a cube and i get these errors, i’m guessing it’s the server telling me it has not updated th heatmap? I see them when heatmaps (epsecially scythe vision) glitch.

Also surprisingly even though zfish has larger cubes etc on avg it loads faster than normal ew, I have no idea why lol, at least as far as inspect loading goes, i have not normal played in zfish so i dunno how fast that’d be lol. I still get all the errors mentioned above but 2d/3d loading is faster.

1. On average, how often do you refresh Eyewire in hope of solving the slowness? Does it do anything?

Well, pre-February I used to load every 20 or so cubes (normal play) and much less frequent when scouting b/c chat would start making ew slower (browser RAM usage etc) After Feb…well it’s a mess lol

basically i’ll refresh whenever i get a OCC popup in play/reap/inspect or orange dot in complete etc.

From June…it got really messy lol as i would refresh and then i’d get an error “player/describe not found” 404 and stats would not load, then i’d refresh and SL would not load (404) then I’d refresh and maybe overview would not load (404) then i’d continue refreshing getting each or more than 1 of the above until eventually a refresh would all be ok lol then i’d try to play/reap and 2-3 cubes later all over again everything lol. I think the July marathon was what broke the camel’s back so to speak as it was almost unplayable anymore.

After Monday I can’t say yet because Im not all that online during vacas lol and I haven’t been able to play in home main PC yet (I’ll know and post again on sunday/monday after i’ve had some hrs of play).

Hopefully after monday (and after devs fix it perm) it’;ll be ok lol b/c june/july (starting from Feb) really did make me start thinking of leaving because it was a constant test of frustration lol, but with whatever devs did on monday, this thread and whatever else they’ll do it gets fixed so august/sept etc is back to normal and we can go back to enjoying ew :slight_smile:

1 windows 8.1 pro (x64) build 8600

2 Chrome 60.0.3112.78 (64 bit)
As KrzysztofKruk i have same message in console: not using a 64bit browser
Though this message i have since the beginning, thus probably nothing to do with slowness

3 most enerving is slow 2D loading in inspection (in playing ok, due to preload)
sometimes slow updating of scythes-toolbox, When you click inspect, it can go some 10-20 seconds till you come into cube, sometimes it says: no cubes available, then refresh is only help.
slow loading of log-history
sometimes after inspect, scouts-log is gone and must be reopened

4 today loading of 2d needed about 10 secs
day before yesterday (July 31) loading was in minutes…

5 i am running scouts-log and some other features (latter i do not use though, some of them no idea how they were activated :slight_smile:
:

1. scythe, mod, mentor, mystics

2. not sure when it started, perhaps a month. I guess chrome updates itsself, so i do not know when version changed

3. 8 GB Ram

4. 100/25 Mbit/s

5. do not know what these messages mean, i just remember last month i had many 403-errors. The two sreenshots from below are from Juli 29, showing additional messages:

today (august 2) i was scything for 4 hours, and had only once error 403 (though cube loading was slow as said above). Did you already do something-lol ?
(Earlier days that error came every third line as i remember) One error today was 504 gateway-timeout, didn’t recognize something special (sorry missed screenshot today)

11: i refresh perhaps every hour, but it usually does not help much
also emptying cache does not help
Hope you can fix, or tell which chrome-version gives best results :slight_smile:

NB Just installed firefox 54.0.1 64 bit and played eyewire over it. Cubeloading much faster.

1 Like

As for E2198 vs ZFish, there are 2 times less slides in the latter. The slides are much bigger (about 14 MB of data for each cube vs about 8MB in the Retina), but there are only 128 of them. So, my guess would be, that the problem is not in the size of the data, but the way, Chrome handles downloading the series of images (or files in general). In the older version it looks (or looked) more parallel and in the new version the images are downloaded more like one after another with a little wait for hand-shaking before each download. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find, which change in Chrome could be responsible for such behaviour.
EDIT: if it’s the reason, maybe the solution would be to merge images into, let say, 8 1MB images (each containing 32 slides) and split them on the client side either via CSS, or while using drawImage() with appropriate coords.

1 Like

lol just logged in, inspected a cube: (still in hotel wifi with laptop) got these errors and no 3d in inspect.

lol tried to select a cube and complete it (jouster asked in chat):

and these are part of the errors I get back home as well.

ok now trying to normal play and i’m getting the no submit 403 errors:

and it pretty much means i either open a new ew tab (for some reason it’s the same as if i refresh same tab) or i refresh and lose cube.

I can’t desktop capture them in vid in laptop (no software and i dont want to download it in hotel wifi lol) but if the probs/errros perisist from Sat that I get home I’ll make vids of them for ya :slight_smile:

I tend to not refresh much, it does nothing for the slowness. I do refresh when the sound starts cutting out, as that usually means that a webgl crash is imminent and will happen soon.

1 Like

Hi devon, here’s the info that I have.

1. My operating system is Windows 10 Pro Build 15063.483.
  2. My browser is a 64-bit Google Chrome with a version of 60.0.3112.90. I wanted to use Firefox, but they don’t support custom scrollbars and so, the scrollbars in Eyewire in Firefox looks ugly. That’s the only reason why I don’t use firefox lol
  3. Tbh, everything is slow to me, even using the scout’s log in general.
    3a. Actually, everything is mainly slow too in cube loading. Sometimes, when reaping, the seed even does not show up at all and I have to manually trace it by looking at the parent/child.
  4. Slowness, for me at least, is when even the small things are loading slowly, eg. profile details, changing cells, going to ov, etc.
  5. Right now, I am running crazyman’s script, version 0.13.
  6. I am a proud Scythe and Mentor.
  7. I’m actually not sure how long is has been since the loading times actually became slow. Probably since the new spawner has been implemented, I guess?
  8. I have 4 gb of ram, which might be slow, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the cause of the slowness, just lag in general.
  9. My network connection is from the best ISP in the Philippines (PLDT) with blazing fast download speeds up to 3 mbps and upload speeds up to 100 kbps.
  10. Actually, I do have a screen recording of a non-preloaded cube loading. It’s here. (Can I have my bonus points now lol)
  11. Actually, I don’t reload that much at all, and even when I do, it’s just mainly if the things become so slow, they stop loading.
1 Like

1.) OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, version 1607 (build 14393.1480)
2.) Browser: Chrome 64 bit, version 60.0.3112.90
3.) Slowness: Fresh start of EW, select cube in 42.b, inspect: 2D load time is 20 sec independent of antivirus enabled/disabled)
4.)See checkerboard in 2D until 100%. When I scoll the mousewheel during load, the slices already loaded are displyed after each wheelscroll.
5.) Third-party extensions: @eldendaf’s Scouts’ Log extension (integrated in EW) and @crazyman4865’s tabbed chat script.
6.) Ranks: Scythe, mentor, moderator, mystic
7.) Significant increase since: some months (?), sorry, don’t remember, had an EW break until May.
8:) RAM: 16GB
9.) Network speed: 12-14 Mbps
10.) Console log:
Fresh start of EW with Antivirus (Kaspersky Internet Security) enabled:

Fresh start with Antivirus disabled:

11.) Refreshing: normally never, except when Chrome says ‘out of memory’

1 Like

Just logged in for the day lol,

some more errors for the devs (pretty common for me).

1. What is your operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 64 bit

2. What is your browser: Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

3. Which tasks experience slowness for you:

Cubes loading in normal play. Loading cubes gets stuck where I see overview on the left and 2D on the right: http://prntscr.com/g4591j
Console log from the above: http://prntscr.com/g459k7
Got the same console log error when trying to inspect.
(Bipolar 7.110b)

Relic cubes seems to be faster, although I get the checkerboard pattern a lot, which was not happening a few weeks ago.

Slow relic cube log:
http://prntscr.com/g45fbe
Same issue as above, hangs partially loaded. Clicked esc, then play, and it loaded, but that did not work for the BP cube above.

Seems to be intermittent though, last few hours I haven’t had a problem, and nothing has changed. Check internet speed and it’s the same.

3a. If cube loading is slow, what is the slow part of it: Transitioning into the cube, the 2D pane comes up but 3D shows wire frame and overview.

1. What is “slowness” for you: Cubes are hanging and not loading at all, and cubes that do load are several seconds, compared to 1 or 2 seconds previously.

2. Are you running any third-party extensions or add-on scripts for Eyewire? The main examples would be @eldendaf’s Scouts’ Log extension or @crazyman4865’s tabbed chat script. Running both of them.

3. What is your rank(s) on Eyewire (Scout, Scythe, etc.)? Mystic

4. How long has it been since you noticed a significant increase in loading times? Just in the last week or so.

5. How much RAM (random access memory) does your computer have: 8Gb

6. How fast is your network connection? Speedtest shows 90Mbps, but this is the same connection I’ve been using for years, and it’s been fine until now.

7. If you have time, please open your browser console as you perform activities on Eyewire and provide us screenshots or copypasted text of what errors you see, especially if you see 403 errors. If you don’t know how to view the browser console, here’s how1. Bonus points if you can provide us with a screen recording of the activities and the errors in real time.

8. On average, how often do you refresh Eyewire in hope of solving the slowness? Does it do anything? Hadn’t refreshed tonight, have done so in the past, once or twice a session usually.

We sincerely appreciate any answers you can provide to the above, and we hope to find the root of the problem soon! If you know someone is experiencing slowness and they haven’t posted here yet, please point them this way. And even if you have sent us information about this already, please repeat it here so that we have it all in one place. Thank you!

1 Like

Some more, these are all from trying to complete the same cube (after having reaped it without problems).

moar errors lol

1. Win 7 pro 64 SP1

2. I’m now on the portable version of chrome 48.0.2564.109 (64-bit). Just chrome as it is, no modules, nothing more.

3. I just experience slow toolbox refreshes, cube OV information and profile . I experience NO slow loadings in 3d or 2d (while playing or reaping)

4. 5/6 sec to show

5. Nothing. Default instalation, default parameters.

6. Scout, Scythe, Mystic.

7. 16Gb

8. 33 Mbps

9. No errors appear, just the “not 64bits browser”

10. didn’t played enough those days to tell you.

PS : I have last 60 chrome installed too. If i play EW with, i experience very slow loadings for 2d (15 to 30 sec) in both playing and reaping. Toolbox refresh when it want (sometimes it do not and a red dot appear)

1 Like

Oh yeah, I found something else interesting

It says something about content length mismatch. It might be linked to the slow loading problems and the glitchy music I hear whenever I turn the music on (It’s when different parts of a song seems to be “cut off” from other parts of the song).

1 Like

lol this is a new one,

1 Like