We are still trying to troubleshoot all the slow loading times, etc., and it’s really a doozy! What would really help us at the moment is if we could aggregate a uniform set of information from anyone experiencing slowness on Eyewire. So please consider this thread a makeshift survey, and if you’re experiencing slowness please answer all of the following questions:
1. What is your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux)? If you can provide the exact version number, that’s more helpful. Here is how to find this out, if you don’t know it.
Please note that we cannot guarantee Eyewire will run on any browsers besides Firefox or Chrome, which in both cases must be 64-bit. Chris and I recommend Firefox over Chrome in general, and also Chrome 59+ has apparently doubled cube loading times compared to Chrome 58. The developers will be in touch with Google about this, but in the meantime, please be forewarned; thanks @Kfay for spotting this.
3. Which tasks experience slowness for you? Examples: cube loading in normal gameplay, cube loading in inspect mode, heatmap loading in overview, submitting, skipping, reaping, flagging, loading the “change cell” menu, loading user profiles.
3a. If cube loading is slow, what is the slow part of it? Examples: transitioning into the cube, the overview disappearing, the progress bar reaching 100, the 3D appearing, or something else.
4. What is “slowness” for you? Normal Eyewire cubes (not zebrafish) are supposed to take a maximum of 3 seconds to load, for instance, zebrafish cubes a little more. Are you experiencing double this time? More than double? 30 seconds to a minute? Etc.
6. What is your rank(s) on Eyewire (Scout, Scythe, etc.)?
7. How long has it been since you noticed a significant increase in loading times?
8. How much RAM (random access memory) does your computer have? If your RAM is lower than our recommended 8 GB, this may exacerbate loading problems. Here is how to check your RAM on Windows, Mac, or Linux.
9. How fast is your network connection? If you are on a connection slower than 50 to 150 Mbps, this may also exacerbate loading problems. You can check your network speed here (make sure Flash is enabled if it prompts you).
10. If you have time, please open your browser console as you perform activities on Eyewire and provide us screenshots or copypasted text of what errors you see, especially if you see 403 errors. If you don’t know how to view the browser console, here’s how. Bonus points if you can provide us with a screen recording of the activities and the errors in real time.
11. On average, how often do you refresh Eyewire in hope of solving the slowness? Does it do anything?
We sincerely appreciate any answers you can provide to the above, and we hope to find the root of the problem soon! If you know someone is experiencing slowness and they haven’t posted here yet, please point them this way. And even if you have sent us information about this already, please repeat it here so that we have it all in one place. Thank you!