3D Neuron Renders

Awesome :slight_smile: iā€™m just totally glade making it ! it was really a good experienceā€¦ and iā€™m really excited to see the result too !

1 Like

these are also pyramidal neurons?

1 Like

Most of them, some we are not sure yet because I picked them in the middle of the dataset to look nice rather than to show a single type.

1 Like

Here is a set of recommended colors selected by @danielag:

copy and paste from the gdoc linked above and for reference:

1 Like

ah nice, i mean theyā€™re all from neo dataset?

yes indeed!

1 Like

A preview still of the animation, itā€™s going to be 25 secs HD 1080 with 25 frames per sec. A flyby. (about 2 mins per frame x25 frames per sec x 25 secs= roughy 50 hrs lol) (Yes I have a beast of a PC :stuck_out_tongue: ) if ya like I can raise it to full quality and draw it out to 10mins per frame but considering itā€™ll be displayed in monitors and/or tv screens i donā€™t think itā€™s much required.

I was also thinking I can maybe do an animation of a cell originating from the CB and then doing a pseudo timelapse of growth while showing the 2D as if a player scrolling etc but for that I need the whole dataset in slides lol xD I mean itā€™d not be a render, Iā€™d import 3D model + slides in Adobe AE and do mah magic there with masks and whatnot revealing the cell as if it being traced. The thing is itā€™s not a cube, itā€™s a whole cell so Iā€™d need the slides of it which it being a cell isā€¦all dataset xD (ok I wrote that in a convoluted way, itā€™s early no coffee yet :stuck_out_tongue: )

l

2 Likes

I really like the lights and shadows. It looks like a leafy tree in a sunny day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wowww this is awesome! cool lighting and is that fog in the background?

Oh man that would be super crazy to see a timelapse of a cell growing. The whole dataset is pretty pretty huge, are you sure? I could ask if we could share that

1 Like

no lol, thatā€™s the alpha map on the png and this forum/site showing it white (other sites show it black) lol but the render is using depth of field and customised ā€œfogā€ ie like things will hue out the further away they are from your ā€œeyesā€/camera so that looks like fog lol

well i dont necessarily want the whole dataset but. if Iā€™m going to animate something like this:

then I need the slides. If itā€™s a cube then thatā€™s the slides of that particular cube, but since I want to animate a cellā€¦itā€™s the dataset xD

So I can make the slides ā€œscroll downā€ and as they scroll down the cell ā€œappearsā€ (unhides lol) as it goes lol.

If Daniela or anyone else has an idea on how I can do it without needing the whole dataset and/or thereā€™s a way for me to a portion of the dataset that has that cell etc Iā€™m all ears lol.

My idea is to treat the dataset as a ā€œvideoā€ so import it in AE as animated image sequence and have it ā€œplayā€ for say 100 secs (or more or less) and as it is playing from top to bottom Iā€™ll manually add it extra keyframes/motion to also ā€œgo downwardsā€ and place the 3D obj to appear with masks and whatnots etc as itā€™d appear as someone clicks on the 2d etc.

I think I can make a cool nice ā€œlittleā€ animation and make it look like a 3D rendering from a 3d software but it wonā€™t be :smiley:

and yeah i imagine that pinky_40 must be a few tbs worth of data xD

2 Likes

I think Sebastian would love this. Let me bring it up at our team neuroscience meeting on Monday

1 Like

Ok so, hereā€™s the 1st rendered second of the animation (25 in total lol) itā€™s not edited in post production, colours and light/shadows need work in post production but should give you an idea of it. :slight_smile:

https://giphy.com/gifs/neo-neurons-eyewire-l378ixXNP6T00BRHG

1 Like

Wow thatā€™s beautiful!

1 Like

hey a promising start ! :grinning: how many time to render this draft ?

1 Like

abt 30-50 mins per frame for 25 frames.

1 Like

Wow thatā€™s wild! Iā€™ll see if we can play around with backburner some more tomorrow!

Also we are trying to figure out whatā€™s the proper crediting system for these images. It seems crowdsourced renders are a bit of new territory for government! I will keep you posted hopefully with an answer soon!

Amy

1 Like

this just in at Princetonā€¦ @Kfay

3 Likes

Dunno about still images like in kfayā€™s render now hanging in Princeton (cool beans!) but for my vid(s) Iā€™ll have a few secs at the end with credits all round lol (allen neurology institute for the dataset, Seung labs, Boston ew HQ and me lol) (am I forgetting anyone?) so like 5-10 secs at the end with black background and a roll of credits. Assuming yā€™all like the video/animation enough to play it anywhere that bit at the end covers me lol.

But Iā€™ll have the raw ā€œfootageā€ so if you want something else I can change that and resend it. I can also send you the raw image sequence and After Effect file(s) if you want to do some tinkering of your own lol.

1 Like

Ahah ! This is it ! (better than the movie :laughing: ) Amy Daniela and Kfayā€™s wall !

Lol, better than the movie?