What is the best strategy to deal with such fuzzy zone?

Hi guys,

I am struggling with that one:

Cube # 3986754
The little bulge seems necessary as a junction but it fuses into zones that seems to be foreign.
I actually often run into this type of mess. So what is the best method to sort out this kind of topography?
thx!

Ultimately it’s a judgement call. Often times it’s safer to leave stuff out than include it, as long as you can follow the shape. It’s totally ok to have a big gap in the middle of the branch if the segment in the middle is more wrong than right, or is connected to something that is obviously wrong.

Thanks hwaaim. So, no specific strategy to tackle these weird zones other than poking here and there randomnly and watching the result, and then making a jugement call. Ok. I guess a smoother surface remains a criteria though, but here it’s like an onion, I can add layers and volume, it does not make much difference. Cheers.

Edit: I submitted after minimizing coloring. And here is the “solution”:

So my question is now: what is the proper strategy to find these extensions that are not even connected to the main segment?

Best in this case is leaving a gap. Coloring overspills quite a lot into other neurons, so you have to decide:
Letting in, could it create a merger? (in this case no, overspill does not reach edge of cube, so AI will not extend) and how is smoothness of the branch (quite jagged in this case).
Removing: how big is gap (small in this case). Bigger part of the segment belongs to other neuron.
A scythe decided to leave the gap (current consensus).

If you have questions you can always ask in chat, normally a scythe will be around helping you faster than going over the forum.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

lol, gave my above answer without seeing hwaaim’s answer.
as to second question:
just follow the trace in your imagination by scrolling through the cube. Normally it is helpful to find the best orientation (xyz)

Usually z plane is the best, it gives faint lines instead of no lines. (also the best to deal with misalignments) If the color is overflowing you usually don’t want to include it (the case here)

also you can look at how the branch is at the end. if the branch is jagged it could often continue, but if it is smooth it is usually the end.
a scythe would based on celltype and experience try to extend all branches that looks like it is a possibiliy for extension often this is the correct extension, but also sometime wrong. Sometimes the only possibility is to try different traces and chose one that have the same look and direction and you can´t see a clear backtrace on.

if you get cubes like this you can always ask a mentor to watch you and see how they work to find a solution.

Thanks all for your comments and answers!

Working through such problem with a mentor watching or me watching how they deal with it, if they can monitor me real time, or vice versa, would be ideal. I did not know that can be done.

Do I simply ask for a mentor in the chat or is there something for that in the menu (did not find anything)?

Mentors are players, you can easiest reach them in chat.

Hopefully they add in my suggestion for an !online
mentor command :slight_smile:

1 Like

go back and forth until you figure out what to do lol :slight_smile: