Trailblazing problems

Hi, I’m wondering if the exciting influx of all these wonderful new Eyewirers is causing a few issues with trailblazing cubes. I’m getting a few trickier cubes that require a bit of experience to figure out - and I keep getting 20 points on them. Of course I may be wrong and have marked things that I shouldn’t have marked, but my sense with a few of them is that the initial trailblazing has missed things that then turn into large additions to the neuron.  Not sure if this makes sense!  Anyway… I was wondering if people should go through an ‘apprentice’ phase where they gain experience and really get a feel for things before being given cubes to trailblaze.  Thoughts anyone?  :)

I agree, my thoughts exactly. I was thinking a level system based on points that allowed you access to harder cubes.

Yeah, we have discussed mentorships and leveling and the like internally.  We haven’t gotten around to it yet, but feel free to let us know how you think such a system should work!

My initial thought would be to restrict trailblazing to players who have done x number of cubes.  Not sure if you guys have a way to see the % of accuracy a player makes?  So if a player has done a certain number with a good level of accuracy, they can move on to trailblazing.  Then once a cube is trailblazed it should be done a certain number of times by experienced people to build up a consistant score.

I wonder how else we can give feedback.  Once you’ve submitted a cube all you see is the points, and you don’t know if you’ve come close to consensus or not.  Could there be a display that shows the mean score for that cube - so you can compare your own score to it?   And then if you did quite badly, perhaps a choice to redo the cube and see if you can do better, and therefore learn from your mistakes?

Elitists

Maybe you’d like to expand upon your point a bit spikemaw.  As it stand’s, it kind of seems like a bit of a troll, but I’ll bite.

Our project has two major goals.  We want you guys to have fun and we want to produce useful results for science.  And I can think of a few ways in which both of those ends could be helped by restricting some tasks to more experienced users.  If the only things that are left to find are very difficult then it may not be as fun or as educational for some of our new players.  It also gives them something to strive toward.  “I want to get better so that I can work on the bleeding edge too!”  Also, in general, the new players are more likely to make mistakes or miss things because they haven’t learned any better yet.  For some of the more difficult areas, it would help us to produce better results if we were to have our more experienced users focus on it.

That having been said, there’s nothing elitist about it.  Everybody can be an experienced player!  You’ve just got to play more!

I hope I didn’t give the wrong impression @spikemaw. I posted because I had just noticed a change in things after the influx of new people, so wondered how it affected the bottom line - which in this case is mapping the neuron most accurately. I know it took me quite a while to get the feel of it and would guess it’s the same for most people.  I’m thrilled that we’re such a large Eyewire family now and I’m sure many of you will surpass the very top overall scorers within days!  :)