Trailblazing Point Issue

Dear Eyewire Staff,

I’ve read as much as I can find on trailblazing points, it keeps coming up as an issue worthy of careful thought to resolve. When we read the FAQ it says “You don’t get points as a trailblazer because we can’t give you points based on accuracy because the AI doesn’t have anything with which to compare your work.” However, the gamers keep bringing up the issue that they want points because they think it is “fair” to always give points! Since the AI already gives a start point of “dark blue” pixels and the AI fills out wherever you click that means the AI, inherent in its assumptions, is comparing the clicking to the boundaries it has found on its own. 

So here is a suggestion to give trailblazing points “fairly” to avoid a political issue with gamers. For example, this morning, I was a trailblazer 10 of my 13 attempts. I felt “robbed” and this feeling motivates me to write and give some constructive feedback to help Eyewire meet it’s goal of creating accurate cells. Take the point of view of the gamer, they keep bringing up points for trailblazing because it fits the “gamer” mindset of “fairness.” Take the Eyewire view of “fairness” that giving out too many points for trailblazing is unfair to the bulk of the gamers doing the later work. So let’s blend the two needs together and suggest to give more than the average 20 points, perhaps 40 or 50 points fixed, a “Goldilocks” amount, is just the right amount and that should put an end to this issue of wanting trailblazing points. I have rarely been a trailblazer and my feeling after all of a sudden having a morning of very low points is demotivating, luck of the draw certainly, but worth writing about.

So here is how the FAQ would look if you implement a “Goldilocks” point strategy, simple to program and add to the FAQ, see the highlighted segment to below:

What is a trailblazer and how many points do they get?

The trailblazer is the first one to do a task. A trailblazer receives 50 points for being first and no more because we can’t give you points based on accuracy because the AI doesn’t have anything with which to compare your work. Everyone is the trailblazer sometimes, so the points will eventually even out. 

I hope this contribution is helpful. Kudos to Eyewire for a magnificent solution to involving the gaming community to accomplish an unbelievable complex task of mapping cells! Very innovative! I am happy to contribute!

I think we’d like to do something a little more complicated in the longer term.  There’s been a few suggestions of getting points after a cube has been done by a bunch of people.  There’s been plenty of other good too.

That having been said, I think this is a really good short term solution.  Let us know if you guys like this idea.

I like the idea of getting some set amount of points for trailblazing.  Usually I don’t think about it, but since we started the SAC  cell I’ve had a couple of cubes that were the “cell body” and man, they took forever, especially the first one.  When I was doing the first one, I was already thinking “I hope I get some points for this!  It better not be a trailblazing cube!”  I don’t know why the heck I am motivated by points since I can’t  “Buy” anything with them, but I guess I’m just used to being motivated by gaining something (points, coins, crystals whatever)  when I’m playing a game.  

If you guys want to know a secret you do actually get some points for trailblazing, we just don’t tell you how much in the UI.  It’s a bug.  You get the (up to) 20 time spent points on it.  That having been said, I agree that you should get more for trailblazing and we should let you know how much you get.

Maybe there could be a ranking system that uses points as just one of the factors, or maybe make multiple categories to be ranked in, updated periodically as the data are generated. Something to the effect of ‘how well you trailblazed’. It would be kind of fun to know how the most “prodigal of the kids turned out” too, maybe a monthly top ten trailblazers… and the cubes.

That’s a great idea k2.  I’ll look into it!