Synapse

When can we expect to see the Synapse version of EyeWire?

Hey deadxdying,

So the current data set that we are working with used a stain which doesn’t show synapses.  Currently the focus is on segmenting neurons.  You can kind of tell a synapse in that on neuron sort of wraps around another, but it’s much more difficult to tell.  For the time being, we are relying on the professionals to find the synapses.  Also, the scientific problem that we are trying to solve doesn’t involve doesn’t require us to find that many synapses (maybe 30-40).  I’m sure that Jinseop could explain further if you were looking for more information.

There are other data sets which we may work with in the future which do stain the synapses so they are easier to see.  If we decide to work on such a data set in the future, we may well have a synapse finding version of the game.  That having been said, we don’t have any concrete plans to do so in the near future.

Ok, Thankyou

Also, the scientific problem that we are trying to solve doesn't involve doesn't require us to find that many synapses (maybe 30-40).

It’s wery sad. Why this? What connectom use possible without synapses?

I'm sure that Jinseop could explain further if you were looking for more information.
Yes, please.
There are other data sets which we may work with in the future which do stain the synapses so they are easier to see.  If we decide to work on such a data set in the future, we may well have a synapse finding version of the game.  That having been said, we don't have any concrete plans to do so in the near future.
Whi it is not a priority?

Hi nashev,

I guess I didn’t make that clear in my earlier reply.  We can see synapses in this dataset based on the geometry of the neurons in relation to each other.  However, this is a difficult task for our players to do because we have so little context looking at such small cubes.  We can and do identify synapses in the lab.  The only point that I was trying to make is that finding synapses is a more difficult task than reconstructing neurons, but it’s also a much smaller portion of the work that we need to do, so at this point it’s not really worth the effort involved to make a game out of it.  As we get more efficient at reconstruction, and we start working with larger data sets and more neurons, it will definitely be worth it to make a synapse finding game.