Problem with one of the starting puzzles

I am sure you are aware of some of the glitches in the algorithm, I thought I would highlight this one anyway in case it has been missed. My assumption was that the starting demonstration puzzles were all thoroughly checked so that the user doesn’t get confused. In this case there is clearly a connection here but the check my work button says no.

Ok I am finding this in virtually every puzzle now, either I am not getting something fundamental or the tutorial puzzles are training people wrong

Yeah, I found that in quite a few as well; eventually I just decided to give them what they want. For now, we can probably just take it as “it’s still in beta” and move on; your pictures will probably help fix this before it gets opened up, so good job there!

(And because I know that negative feedback on something you’ve been made can be hard to hear, I’ll counter this by saying, training issues aside, I think this is an absolutely fantastic concept, well executed, and I’m glad to be a part of this project :slight_smile: )

Hey duncan,

Thanks for alerting us to this.  As a little background, all the tutorial tasks are based on expert validations which we’ve tried to verify as well as we can.  That having been said, we may have made a few mistakes.  In order to narrow down what’s going on, I’ve got a few questions for you.

1)  You are only seeing this after clicking “check my work” right?
2)  Are you sure that you selected these things that are showing up in red?  We highlight both the things that you selected but you shouldn’t have, and the things that you didn’t select but should have.

As I said, it’s possible that we’ve made a mistake here, and it would be super helpful if you would let us know what we missed.  The easiest way to do this is to click on the “Report a bug” link, which you can actually see in the screenshots that you took, before you complete the task.  Then mark the task as complete when you finish it.  This will allow us to see exactly what you are looking at and help diagnose this better

Thanks!

I think I can vouch for Duncan; I seem to remember coming across this exact same section, where I’d highlighted the area but it came up as an error. I can’t swear to it without going through the tutorial tasks again (which I’d happily do).

When I came across them I thought about submitting a bug, but took bug to me some kind of interface/flooding algorithm issue rather my decisions conflicting with those in the test. Apologies for that!

No worries.  We’ll have someone here go back through the tutorials.  We want you guys to get to the game itself!

We’ve also been going back and forth on what to call the bug button.  As you say, calling it a bug implies something about the site failing.  Once you get out of the tutorial, there’s an abort button, which is probably the more appropriate solution for situations like this.  The more likely scenario, in the actual game, is that you’ll find something wrong with the data or the segments that we give you and you can abort the task and let us know what’s wrong with it.

I got into this as I am an independent game designer and very interested in the principle of education and science as games. I double checked the case I posted here, and the next two which I have no screenshots of. I was unsure whether the issue was bug or not so I posted here, but now that the thread is here for others to search people should know to report such instances. After the these cases I moved into the scored part of the program so I am not seeing this anymore.

Ah okay, thanks for bringing it up.  We’ll look into it!  Enjoy the game, and after you’ve played for a while, we’d enjoy hearing your thoughts on the design of the game and ways we can improve it!

How about a button only active during the test cases that says “Report a problem with this test case” which would enable you to quickly find the test cases that people have flagged as problematic?

Here is another one.  I think tutorial #2 for me.

The issue here is the default coloring seems as if it’s outside of the lines.  I tried to erase the pre-existing coloring to make it fit but no-go.

Yeah, this is what we call a merger.  It’s a place where the AI made a small mistake as to where the bounds of a cell is.  I think we were supposed to have some text talking about that.  I’ll look into it.