Loading Time

How long should this application take to load.  I am on ultrahighspeed internet with brand new intel 7 processor and normally it doesn't take long to load anything but this has been grinding away for quite some time.  I looked at my task manager and the status is running so it hasn't hung up?  I registered and then started to load.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sprocket

Hi Sprocket,

Welcome to Eyewire.  What browser are you using?  What OS?

@sprocket

I’ve noticed that sometimes the 3D widget can slow the app to a crawl when it tries to render a very complex trace that leaves many small bits uncoloured. I was getting quite a few of these yesterday. The effect can last minutes at a time.

So the good news is that we’ve got a few changes coming down the pike which should speed up loading times substantially for everybody.  Stay tuned!

I seem to be trapped in a loading issue. Every time I reopen Eyewire, it tries to load a giant image that covers a lot of the picture. It grinds my laptop to a stop and I can’t abort or finish loading.  I’m on Firefox - Macbook Pro.  I keep reopening to try to get past that image but no luck. Yikes… what to do? I’m having withdrawal symptoms :wink:

Same problem as smalljude. Chrome, OS X.7.3, iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo , 4GB SDRAM

Sincerely, 
Jonesing in Seattle

@smalljude, simulacron3, 

Does this happen on the front page that shows cell overview? It seems to have originated from a broken file which contains the overview. Sorry for the inconvenience, we are trying to fix the problem. 

It happens after clicking Play and during display of the current problem for me. The 3D window does not complete and looks like it doesn’t correspond correctly to the working window. Both the 3D and working window are mostly full for this task, and the same task is presented each time.The loading spinner gets stuck on, the interface doesn’t respond, and Chrome tells me the page has become unresponsive after a bit.

I did notice a wonky cell overview one time, but that isn’t the problem that is affecting me.

Now I see what the problem is. You encountered with the soma (cell body) of the cell. Since the object is too big and fills up almost the whole cube, your broswer should compute really hard to reder it but sometimes just fails (I'm saying that it's not a network problem.) 

In any case, soma is not a part that we want to work for. I thought I did things to restrain them from being generated but obviously I didn't do enough. I stashed those tasks away, and please abort such tasks in the future if possible. 

FYI: an old discussion on a similar occasion.
http://forum.eyewire.org/discussion/comment/19#Comment_19

I have the exact same problem, on Chrome, and it says it is unresponsive after a minute. I go back to waiting but it never loads so I can’t even abort the task. I can’t get any other task and can’t abort this one. I guess I’m stuck for now. Too bad 'cause this was my first real task and I was really looking forward to it.

I hope the issue has been resolved by now. It is explained in this thread: 

http://forum.eyewire.org/discussion/104/getting-a-few-cell-body-tasks-which-drive-browser-cpu-usage-to-100#Item_3

@jinseop

Still getting cell bodies… 07/05/2012 - 20:57 GMT

Ah, thanks for clearing that all up. I found if I closed my 3D view it would work, but probably a waste of time from what you’re saying.  Sure loads up the scores though… haha!   I’d love a toggle for the 3D view… to bring it back once I’ve closed it.

@smalljude

The issue of reopening the 3d widget has been noted in another thread somewhere, but you always reload the page. It seems to work in chrome.

no clue if I’m having same problem; suspect not as these are old posts. It loads too slowly for me to scroll along in the right hand pane (where it shows the neuron and you click to color). The 3d viewer is fine. Buttons disappeared a few days back but they are back now (see from another post that was an unrelated temporary glitch). 

What OS and internet connect speed/type do you need to run this now? At home I have microsoft 7 and verizon phone internet (not dialup, the other one [so not as fast as cable but not as slow as dialup]) and now today it is nearly impossible to use here at work too. At work I have a Mac and whatever internet connection the university at Buffalo has. 

should probably also note that until recently this worked fine in both locations, neither computer nor connection has changed. Usually using Chrome browser but also had same behavior with explorer

should probably note until recently (seems like last few weeks, wasn’t really keeping track) this worked fine both at home and at work. My computers and connection in both locations are the same.

Sorry about that, we were having a little slowdown on our end.  Try it now and see if that’s better.

@opirnia

We made a change a couple weeks ago which was supposed to make the site feel more fluid (less flickering of images, faster load times, etc). Unfortunately there was also a bug with this which made it so, when you jumped to a slice which was not loaded, the system had to wait for all other slices to load before it would display anything. I believe this is what made the site feel so slow for you.

I’ve just pushed a change which should have resolved that issue, so if you try reloading the play page could you let me know if things seem any faster?

ok now, thanks :slight_smile: