How do you get points?

After completing a task, there is a leader board that comes up which shows how many points different players have earned on EyeWire. What is the system for getting points? If you “trailblaze” a task, does that mean that you don’t get points for it? 

Thanks!

For the sake of error correction, each task is performed by multiple users.  The trailblazer is the first user to do a task, and doesn’t get any points for it.

if one doesn’t get any point while not trail blazing, does it mean that too many errors has been made?

Usually.  We’re working on adjusting the points system so it’s more obvious why you get and lose points.

Hi Daisykho,

Getting zero points as a trailblazer doesn’t mean you’ve made errors.  If you’re the trailblazer you’re the first person to do that piece, you don’t get points because the AI doesn’t have anything to compare your work to.
Hi Daisykho,
Getting zero points as a trailblazer doesn't mean you've made errors.  If you're the trailblazer you're the first person to do that piece, you don't get points because the AI doesn't have anything to compare your work to.

This forum said that everyone trailblazes every once in a while so the points all even out, but I’ve been playing for about an hour and I’ve been trailblazer on EVERY cube. I don’t mind trailblazing cubes… but it’d be nice to get points later once more people do the cube and there is something to compare to… or at least some other form of credit. 

Sorry.  As mentioned elsewhere on the forums.  You do get points for trailblazing.  They just don’t show up in the UI.  It’s a bug.  Sorry!

How do you know you’re a trailblazer.  Is there any indication that you are?

@annefallon
After you finished a cube you will get a “You were the trailblazer!” message in the title of the window, that otherwise shows your score.

For the sake of error correction, each task is performed by multiple users.  The trailblazer is the first user to do a task, and doesn't get any points for it.

And the second one? He is compared to something we don’t know whether correct or not?

Yup, that’s the long and short of it.  As more people do a task we get progressively more certain about the answer and the scores get more accurate.  In the mean time, we do the best that we can with the data that we have…

I am new at this and confused about points. How are they calculated? What is the maximum number you can get per cube? It appears you can lose points. What causes that to happen?

thanks,

Hi adavej,  

Points are based off of the amount of time you spend on a cube and how your results compare to the other people who did the cube.  Points cap out at 1000 per cube.  You also get points for trailblazing, 50 points right away and more retroactively if you trailblazed well.  You can’t lose points.

A slight clarification to that.  You get points for selecting the right things, you lose points for selecting the wrong things.  However your total points can never go negative nor can it eat into any bonuses you get such as time or trailblazing.

“Points cap out at 1000 per cube.”???

After about a dozen cubes my scores have ranged from 20 to 110. Does a score that low indicate that much was missed? I understand that the correct answer is not known, but the score just compares what other users did. My average time per cube is probably around 15 minutes.

I’m not overly concerned about the score, but just want to understand if I need to keep refining beyond what I am currently calling “done”.

Accuracy is just one aspect of the point system. The amount of missing parts is another one. If you only have a small corner with two small missing pieces (which you filled in correctly) you won’t get 1000 points for that, more something like 30 pts. So, unless you are filling a huuuge branch with many missing parts and only get 20 points (20 points are time bonus) for that, you shouldn’t be worried.

Is there a way to tell the maximum points for a cell? The score would be more meaningful (to a user) if it was something like :“23 out of 30” or “23 out of 672”. Also it might be helpful if the time element was separate from the score. -I wouldn’t want to hurry for the sake of a better score. Perhaps showing a score based on accuracy (like 23 out of 30) and an average time to solve compared to the time I just took.

I’ve been looking for this on the forum and I can’t seem to find it. Besides having a lot of points for the sake of having points, what are they good for? If they aren’t good for anything besides bragging points, I am more than okay with that. Just wondering.

The don’t have any higher purpose at the moment, but we are talking about adding other things in the future.  We weren’t sure of this when we started, but they seem to be a pretty good proxy for how much someone has contributed to the science.  If you look at the top players, they all have super high accuracy and have done lots of cubes.

I agree with plymouthdave, it would be useful to have a 23 out of 30 type score, maybe even showing the False Negative or False Positives afterwards, so that I can improve on future cubes.