Extra blue splotches on the right

Why do I see blue splotches on the right side of the screen when I’m looking at a slice that does not connect with the blue neuron on the left? Should I try to complete those blue areas?

Hi Mhutson,

As you scroll through the slices the blue splotches should eventually connect to the neuron you are working on. They are actually part of the same neuron, but you can’t see that in every slice.   

Here’s an example of completing a blue splotch that does not appear to be a part of the target neuron. Is this a mistake?

Thanks.

Hi Mhutson, I can’t actually see the image you posted, can you try again?  Or email it to me at rprentki@mit.edu? 

I’m not sure if you received my email. Here I’ve posted it again. And here’s a link for good measure:

@mhutson

That image isn’t that clear, a side view would be more appropriate. However, as far as I can tell there is no connection at all from the left blue spot to the right blue spot all throughout the slices?

That would at least be rare, but I can imagine one scenario where that could occur. If the branch you are tracing splits up before entering your cube, you would still be tracing the same branch, but at two separate locations. I don’t recall I ever experienced this. Perhaps the system would trigger two ‘tasks’ then instead of just 1.

I’m surprised to hear you say this situation is rare. In approximately 100% of my cubes, there are blue areas in the 2D view that don’t appear in the 3D view. (And that don’t seem to be part of the target neuron). Is this a bug?

Yup it’s a bug.  I’ve poked one of the programmers about what’s going on.  I’ll direct them here/update you when we figure out what’s going on.  For now I’d just avoid the extra splotches if they’re not connected to the seed piece.

Update: This bug is browser-specific. I’ve been using Safari and it’s been happening in all the cubes, but I just tried Firefox, and it doesn’t happen in any of the cubes there.