Discontinuity in Starburst Challenge practice #4?

I just completed Starburst Challenge practice #4. It gave me a 95% and showed a missing piece that was not connected to the rest of the branch at all. How could that be?

It could be that it was connected by only a really thin connection. Sometimes that connection can be just a blurry segment or just 1 pixel even. From the shape before and after the connection you can sometimes make out whether two parts should be connected, without actually being able to trace that connection. It takes some experience in knowing what to look for. Sometimes you also shouldn’t trace a connecting piece since it might contain a merge error otherwise.

So it is possible that ‘free floating’ pieces need to be added, although of course they shouldn’t be too far away …

Hey  Plymouthdave, whathecode’s answer is spot on, but I’ve one thing to add.  If random piece was yellow that means it’s a random UI error.  Just ignore it in that case.

The “floating” piece was about 5 millimeters away on the 3d view (with the cube filling my average sized monitor. It was purple (a piece I missed).

After getting a little more experience, I believe it was not connected due to a merge error piece not being visible.