Color

I’m really not sure how to word this… When you are coloring in the cell is the color that is correct while doing the mapping the same as the color of the cell?
I hope I ask that right. thanks in advance. 

Hi akamat,

When you’re in the tutorial the stuff you color correctly will be blue (slightly different from the cell color) and the stuff you color incorrectly will be red.  After the tutorial you will be working on stuff that we don’t have an answer key for, so we won’t be able to tell you as you work what should be blue and what should be red.  After the tutorial you are also able to change the color of the cell you’re working on, click on the little gear (in the lower right) and drag the cursor to change color.

Let us know if you’ve any more questions.

May I just point to the fact that about one among twelve male paticipants (= ca. 8%) has (at varying degrees) a color discrimination problem, mostly in the Red - Green domains. It may be somewhat less in people with Asian and African background and it is generally less than 1% among females (due to photopigment genetics). Deficiencies in the Blue range are much rarer. So Blue versus Yellow is generally a good choice, but it may be also worthwhile for those who feel uneasy with it (for whatever reason) to try the option for other color combinations as described above.

@peterahn you make a good point, hopefully our color options will ensure our players with colorblindness are still able to play.

I think he was talking about the tutorial.  We could probably pick those colors better.

In some cells (not in starbursts) dendritic trees may become quite complex and the course of single processes are difficult to track. To have a better overview it might be nice to have an option for color coded  relative dendritic distance (or also: radial relative position = retinal depth coding), starting from the cell body
(well, this may require a skeletonized model of the branchings with nodal points etc).

We can actually already kind of do this already with a few alterations and limitations.  We just haven’t thought to do anything about it because it didn’t seem like there was a need.  What would this allow you to do or see that you can’t now?