Can I be a mod?

So, I spoke with rprentkl about becoming a mod on this project - just being a few more hands to do whatever you guys need. My motivation is FOR SCIENCE! This project is truly amazing and I would love do dedicate some of my time to help map and guide new mappers.

I won’t go into much detail, but please let me know if you want any. I simply just want to help, because I have great interest in science, sharing science and especially neuroscience.

Hard details:

I am a 25 year old male medical student from Copenhagen University. My favorite field in human biology is neurophysiology, but I haven’t experienced every tiny part of medicine yet, so I won’t say my opinion will not change.

I have a lot of experience with online communities, big as small - I even developed communities once.
I master English, but of course my grammar and vocabulary is limited to mostly ‘science talk’, obviously because of my field. Otherwise I speak Danish.

Dysp

Thanks dysp!

I’ll share a few details here with other people who would like to volunteer, and I’ll PM you so we can discuss how you can help specifically.

There are 3 main areas where you can get involved with Eyewire.

1) Forum Moderation
Mostly involves helping answer questions from new users, organizing posts and moving them to appropriate categories or taging them appropriately.  Encouraging interesting discussions.  Might eventually involve disciplining/banning users, but you have been such an awesome community so far that hasn’t been necessary!

2) Wiki Creation/Cleanup/Moderation
We’d like to start making a big push on content creation and organization on the wiki.  Anybody with wikipedia experience would be immensely helpful.  Organizing people to contribute articles and cleaning up/making the ones we have more accessible would be helpful too.  On top of that, we would like to translate the content into as many languages as possible so we can broaden our reach.

3) Outreach
This one is something that all our users can participate in.  Help make the Eyewire community awesome, and bring as many people into it as you can!  Lets make it a wonderful welcoming environment for new users and help show them the ropes.  Try to get your friends to try it.  We’ve had a few users get us publicity on reddit, facebook, and other internet media.  Spread the word!

@Dysp  As balkamm said we do really need help with the Wiki. 

You expressed an interest in sharing science with people.  In addition to helping us write new articles/cleaning up existing ones, something else we’d love help with is making some of the wiki articles more accessible to people without a science background.  For instance this.  This could be done either in the existing article, or by creating a new Intro to Ganglion Cells article.  

Do you have any experience working with wikis?

@dysp did you see that you are now a mod?

Would you be interested in creating some content along the lines of screenshots or screencaptures as visual components of the FAQ? (for example these q’s)?

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I’m interested in helping on the forums and wiki too. I have some experience with wikis and forum moderation too. Should I start my own thread saying a bit more about myself or PM someone?

Thanks