Back to tutorials

Unfortunately I signed up before taking the tutorial.  Now I am expected to trace cells without having had any instruction.  Please help

Just to be sure, by pressing “Start Playing” there is no popup like in this video?

I would like to be able to review the tutorials now that I’ve gone through several hours worth.  My guess is the tutorials would make more sense now that I’ve encountered a lot of different situations.  In particular I’m curious about tell-tale structures at neuron termination points that I “think” I see, but I’m not sure whether it’s them or they neatly continue into what could easily be mistaken as a continuing neuron that lines up nicely.

I have the same question: How does one get back to the tutorials?

Pressing “start playing” takes to where I left off in the practice problems.
Do I need to finish the practice problems before the tutorials are available again?

There is the tutorial when a person first signs up (along with the practice problems).

There is also a “tutorial” in the form of a series of instructional videos.
The tutorial I was referring to in my last post was the instructional videos.

I could find the instructional videos before I started the other tutorial. I’m in the middle of the practice problems and can’t find the path to the instructional videos.

Hi plymouthdave–to go through the tutorials again you’ll actually have to create another user account.  We’re working on fixing it so you don’t have to do that in the future, but it’ll be a bit.  

Also the tutorial videos are on a playlist here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-IggV222ozRiKUehYTkFaW1T5rQ1iChs   Give us a day (or two) and we’ll have a link to the appropriate video under the Get a Hint link under the gear.  For now the easiest way for you to figure out which video goes with which tutorial is to select several things incorrectly (6 or 7) and you’ll get a pop up link to the video.

Thanks for the link. I watched all 18 videos last night.

It was very helpful to learn:
-“Control click” in the 3D view removes a chunk (that alone was worth the time spent).
-Double clicking in the 3d view takes the 2d view to that level.
-Changing the opacity of the cutting plane in the 3d view helps to see more.

I’m glad the videos helped!  Are you having an easier time with EyeWire now?

Yes, easier. Navigation and all the settings are becoming second nature. The difficult part is deciding when a cell is “done”. Experience should help that.

As a side note: It seems to me that getting feedback on how well a cell is done is critical to be able to gain valuable experience. -I have a current question (in the question section of this forum. See “How to you get points?”) about points and relating that to how well a cell was done. The cells I’ve completed have earned me between 20 and 110 points -but I don’t know if I got 20 points because I did poorly or because the cell was only worth a small number of points at best.

20 points is the minimum assuming you spent a reasonable amount of time on it.  You’re right that we should be clearer about these things.  I think they are addressed in the faq.

@plymouthdave  cubes don’t have a predetermined amount of points that they’re worth.  Points are based on how long you spent on the cube (with more points rewarding more time spent, these points cap out eventually) and how your results compare to the others that did the same cube.  Cubes that have more pieces to add will be worth more points.