The first Beta Day: Fix for Confusing Submit/Review/Reap Colors

Actually, the colors work on the beta server (as is in the first post), not in the chris.

And I like all colors, but hope that it will be either A+D or B+C.

1 Like

:star:It is just my opinion!:star: How about choosing color in settings? Just like choosing paint color in settings tab. But it could be 2d palette.

Just like this

1 Like

Found a set of colors that are both impossible to ignore and appealing to the eyes:

3 Likes

why does that say FALG? xD

1 Like

lol
FALG!!!

1 Like

Is the decision to not move the reap button over purely an aesthetic preference? Toggling between inspect and review doesn’t change my buttons at all. So if review and inspect were both changed there would be no odd toggling between them. It would make more sense to swap it with the position of the onward button as that would create uniformity throughout all screens with an onward button (the regular tracing screen as well as the points report screen).

For me, you can make that reap button obnoxious dayglo pink and i’m still going to hit it just due to the fact it’s located in the same place as the onward buttons are on the two other screens.

If I have to choose between colors I think I prefer a and d, but really don’t think changing the color is going to make a lot of difference to players in the “zone” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think Atani’s correct in that the color of the button won’t really have any affect on my automatic tendency to just click the button that’s in the ‘onward’ position since we’re all so accustomed to it it’s practically a reflex.

She brings up a good point in that right now it doesn’t really appear that inspecft and review have any discernible difference in practical functionality. So to solve both issues it may make more sense to have the ‘reap’ button only available when you are in ‘inspecft’ mode, while in review mode it shows the ‘onward’ button.

While some may accidentally click ‘onward’ while intending to reap it’s not that big of a deal to go into history and go back to the cube, while accidentally reaping something cannot be undone.

3 Likes

This is what i’m kinda thinking. Apologies for my awesome mspaint skills!

3 Likes

I agree with both galarun and Atani and I made a couple of better photoshopped images ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) to show what could work for us (players who value functionality a tad more than aesthetics when/if both can’t be attained.)

Although I don’t know why these two don’t offer both (aesthetics and functionality).

1 Like

The only problem with not seeing reap/flag in “review” and seeing it in inspect is that in inspect you don’t get to see the changes, so if you traced a huge branch, and it is missing, in review you can just reap all that yellow in whereas in inspect even in review mode you’d have to re-trace it all lol.

1 Like

i agree that it is mostly the placement and size that is wrong, and like atani`s version of it with two big buttons, but is wondering if it would be better to have the two buttons beside each other in the middle.

also i am not sure how useful it is to reap from review since it is often that there are mergers in review that is not really part of consensus, have not tested how this work when toggling from review -> inspect but so far i have used inspect from ov to get the whole picture when reaping. like this example where the correct trace with big light blue part is marked as good in review/inspect but when looking at consensus from overview it is seed only and will probably have to be reaped in (was second player of this cube)

2 Likes

I think the good part of reaping from review isn’t when there are mergers, which true most are not part of consensus, but when you trace a (large/huge) branch it’s not in and you’d have to go inspect retrace all of it and reap. Now you just reap lol. I don’t know if Reap should be next to play I think it might cause some accidental reaps/flags still. I think placing it on the edge differentiates it better from play/proceed. At least imo.

1 Like

i do not reap much out of review, just sometimes with huge part missing as Nik said. Often normal scythe-view and review-view show different things i am not sure what’s in and what not (seems to depend on cube-weights), so i normally reap from normal scythe-view. As to the buttons, i would prefer A and D as proposed by Amy above.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone! As of right now, the GMs have read your additional suggestions, and these are our concerns about implementing them:

a) It sounds like some of you are asking that the “reap/flag” button remain in Review, but you want it to trade places with the “move on” button. By having a larger button off to one side, this may crowd the bottom of the browser window on smaller screens, and the smaller screen issue was actually one reason that the Review/Inspect UI was changed. It may also be difficult for Chris to have the buttons configured one way in Review and another way in Inspect.

b) It sounds like some of you are alternately asking that you only be able to reap or flag from Inspect, and that you simply want to use the Review/Inspect toggle to make the “reap/flag” button appear as needed. We were under the impression previously that Scythes and Scouts have to reap/flag frequently enough to prefer having the ability to simply hit that button without having to switch to Inspect or needing to re-do the whole trace first.

I’m not saying that we absolutely can’t implement either of these suggestions, but if we decide here that we can’t, those above concerns are the likely reasons why not (and why we had so far only changed the colors). If we decide that we can/should try one of these suggestions, there will still have to be a choice, and it may not make everyone happy. When the GMs have had time to touch base with the rest of HQ about this, we’ll let you know.

In the meantime it sounds like A+D is the favored color combo, and we hope that having the extended time on the beta site allowed more of you to test at a convenient hour!

1 Like

i will admit that my preferred method is using the disable leaderboard option and looking at the stat script to get accuracy and if needed inspect that cube and use R to review my trace in that cube. This is mostly because without leaderboard it goes faster to get the new cube, and not really loosing anything. but as i understand it this method is only working for mystics so far. if the R button had worked for scouts and scythes and the accuracy bars in the stats script was part of ew this could be a option for all promoted players

3 Likes

If it’s easier on chris etc I think having the big green button (move on) where it is and having a smaller flag/reap button next to delete seed button (at least for scythe UI for reference) would be as good imho, but let’s see what others say abt it as well :slight_smile:

As to reaping in/from review I think it’s a good thing overall but it suffers from the same “issues” the rest of the game have, with spawner etc. For example if im not mistaken when you review you see what you added vs what is in consensus, but it’s the consensus at the time of submission/validation correct? so if the cube was weight 3 and you submit you see the review at wt 3, but then most of that stuff are no longer in consensus/or they are b/c then spawner processes validation and pushes it to wt 4, but you don’t see review after spawner processes, if im not wrong?

So as susi mentioned it’s not very useful for removing mergers b/c of that reason (if not for others as well) but it can be very useful if one traces a huge bouton/branch/trace gets 20 points and then without reap from review one would have to inspect and if the trace wasn’t a snapper (in after spawner but wasn’t in before so no points) one has to re-trace the whole thing which was…annoying lol.

Now with reap from review at least that’s no longer the case, one turns on review, and reaps. no retracing required, so that’s a good thing imo. I think the one “serious” problem with reap from review is that there’s no new entry button in SL (yet) so one has to reap from review then re-inspect, (after spawner processes it so no retrace required) and log. But it’s a lot less time waste than having to retrace something for ## mins.

I think overall reap from review is a good thing which can ofc in the future be improved upon and I hope that player UX and ew game design can meet half way (at least) and come up with a buttons arrangement/design/UI that is acceptable to both sides (HQ+players).

2 Likes

@Atani @galarun if we removed reap from review then you’d lose the ability to reap your trace without having to redo the cube

Thanks for the responses. There seems to be some confusion in the goal: we are designing to make the site work better, not for aesthetics.

Going with A & D as those seem to be the crowd favourites. Hope this helps with accidental reaps. If issues continue, we will revisit.

This is totally my fav tho

A couple notes about the button placement which I think need to be considered.

1. One goal is to avoid confusion. Players noted that the color, and possibly the placement of the button could create confusion when you are deciding to reap or to move on. I would argue that it may create a greater amount confusion if in regular reap mode the reap button is placed in the middle, but in “review to reap” mode the reap button is relocated off to the side. I think that the color change may be an adequate solution to this problem, and that it should be used in production for awhile before we decide if it is intuitive or not. It is also much easier from a dev perspective to do a color change than a button placement change, which means it makes sense to try this first, and add changes after if the community feels an update is needed.

2. There is a UI space issue that needs to be considered. Right now we have a large button in the middle with a small circle button for “move on.” Replacing the round button with another long shape means we have less space for other things. Consider someone who plays Eyewire on a laptop - will there be room for delete parent, delete child, long reap button, and duplicate button all within that small area? I think that players who play on smaller screens may face overlapping problems which could be avoided by using the current UI.

One last thing to think about: Consider the action sequence of reaping before review mode was introduced. You would play a cube, press submit (middle button), return to overview, reenter the cube, fix the cube, reap (middle button).

IMO reaping from review is a very similar action sequence - play a cube, submit (middle button), click review button, fix the cube, reap (middle button).

Both of the sequences involve pressing a button for one action (submit), taking a 2nd action (return to overview + reenter cube OR click review), then pressing a button in the same location that takes a new action (reap).

To me these actions are very similar in nature, and the only real thing that’s changed is that you now have the option to reap using fewer steps – or to continue playing in a more fluid way without having to switch modes multiple times.

Just some food for thought :slight_smile:

3 Likes