In Memoriam: Susi

Eyewire had lost a great and beautiful person.

Susi was always kind to me, and was a wonderful personality to be around. She was always warm and nice the entire ~5 years I’ve wired along with her. I hope wherever she may be now, that the kindness she’s shown in life is reciprocated in full.

I’ll miss you susi.

About 4 years ago she had given me this as a gift for my first million. I had never forgotten it. It was a small gesture, but it was so sweet.<3

6 Likes

For the last weeks I often looked out for susi. She was such a constant part in Eyewire!
But she´ll never be seen there anymore.
Many players before expressed, what susi was for them – and I like to subscribe!

I´m glad that I received my first million in March 2020 and got a nice collage from her!

As an expression for that, what susi meant to me, I made – “puzzled” – a special “susi badge”.
I got the feeling, that susi liked much those small pictures. It would be worth to copy her achievements into this memoriam. :slightly_smiling_face:

For the text on my “susi badge” I preferred German. (Sorry.)
Sometimes I appreciated it to ask her questions in German, when I was unsure about some English statements or difficult subjects.
In our last chat this summer we talked about previous voyages and fantastic colours. That´s why I´ve chosen the main picture.

I hope, the EW community will preserve this spirit, for which susi stands for. It´s worth!
In my opinion, this would be the best memento of susi!!

7 Likes

I have been an off-and-on part of eyewire for about 5 years. Every time I come back, I have always seen susi in chat or scything cubes at the speed of light and never felt afraid to just link cubes into /gm scouts and ask her to help out. Even though she could be helping out with mystics or dealing with mergers in level 2, she always helped out with traces that were probably only of medium difficulty at most. And it wasn’t just me she did this for; everyone who asked for help had it. She fostered a culture of instant acceptance and kindness in what could be a very daunting community to get started in. I remember her boosting the confidence of non-native English speakers by speaking in German to them (Fritzchen! I miss you!) or just being a beacon of friendship for everyone.
Her spirit will be remembered by many.

7 Likes

After an absence I just noticed the Susi Memorial cell in the showcase and then found the sad news in this thread. Five years ago Eyewire was one of the things helping me get through chemotherapy. It was something Susi herself had already been through and her support was so meaningful to me. We were joking about how the first thing to have when the tastebuds grow back is chocolate- and then she sent me a package of chocolate all the way from Switzerland!

Almost immediately after that a combination of chemo/other health issues did suddenly knock me off Eyewire for a few years, but I saved the box that had her address so I could send something back later. I just opened the box now and found Susi’s handwritten card that came with the chocolate:

The cover above is printed from cube 1284650 and the card says, “Found some Lindor-balls in eyewire” along with her best wishes.

It hurts so much to know she is gone, but I will treasure the fun we had with Evil Cubes challenges and so much more. Rest in Peace Susi.

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, LD. Susi was so special and she’s still missed very, very much.

1 Like

This is so hard. In June 2020 I stepped away from Eyewire to work on a short book. I’ve been back intermittently, but just saw this. Susi and I bonded over our similar ages and shared experience in doing TEM many years ago and our love for the Eyewire imagery and the experience of participating in microscopy again at the citizen science level. She was always friendly, funny, and supportive, with a fine appreciation for the ridiculous. The Eyewire world has lost a great contributor. Rest in peace my Eyewire friend. LynneC

5 Likes

Today i was thinking about her. Si i jumped onto an ollldy tab i did not open for month !
Kisses to my old friend, we miss you ! :kissing_heart:

1 Like