Ideas for millionare badges theme?

This is a great idea!

The Eyewirer idea of Neuron Journey is great. There are so many intriguing structures in the brain!

So coming as soon as we can write the descriptions is a journey through the visual nervous system.

I went through systems of the senses. I suppose you’ll see the first 90 whenever Nik checks back in but since you are the creators here are a few of the otherworldly icons that are actually inspired by real neuroscience structures! Daniela made some new colors :slight_smile:

Each one is a piece of a sensory pathway.

06%20PM

29%20PM

32%20PM

02%20PM

@susi @hawaiisunfun @annkri if it’s ok I would also love to give you each a game design badge. I mean the neuron journey is beautiful and your idea!

2 Likes

Wow on the badges! These are beautiful, impressive, and I’m just in awe (I mean, I can’t even believe how much in awe I’d be in the journey itself, like at least 2x more!). I really like the neuron-themed badges, just seems more natural for some reason, but educational too (I’m already learning!). It just provides a level of understanding of the big picture beyond what the game provides currently

@amy yes, I’ve been waiting a long time for a badge like that!

Can’t wait to see the neural journey unfold. Luckily I don’t need my notebook, everything’s there in the profile!

2 Likes

I like the batches very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like some fine badges, i am very curious what kind of cells are the inspiration behind the second and third badge

1 Like

Glad to hear!

The second one is a part of the auditory system called the Organ of Corti or Utricle. It relays from the semicuricular canals to the vestibulococclear nerve deeper in the brain.

The third one (pink and purple) is actually cones in the retina.

1 Like

I was just wondering when we get our game badges? They’d be nice to show, but I don’t see them in any profiles yet.

Probably at the same time that the badges are released, which we expect to be around the holiday competition :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for working on them so quickly

1 Like

So I wanted to revisit this. There were a lot of great ideas that went into this topic, but didn’t make the cut. That was good for making the badges, but for the overall game: it would be nice to make some of these ideas possible. I like @annkri’s idea of each person (who wants to), get their own neuron to work on, and everyone SC it. That would be really cool. Like the name of the neuron would be the person’s username and they would work until finished. Maybe they’re given a period of time before it goes to the public to work on. There could even be a category specifically for these too. Like where it says ‘fort scythe’, ‘playable’, etc. when clicking on ‘change cell’, another category for ‘user’s neuron play only’ or something could be there too. Thoughts? I think it would be really fun.

4 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. The badges have already been built and deployed so that’s sort of set, but I don’t see why we couldn’t give each millionaire his or her cell to map and name. We would have to do it within existing Eyewire - that is, without adding new features, as our development is now focused on Neo.

3 Likes

I really like the idea of millionaires getting their own cell to map and name. Already seeing this working well for scythes and mystics as we already have scythe forts and zfish which are already grown semi-solo anyway.

Non-scythe players who are millionaires might miss out though since growing cells solo is only possible from the scythe tool, something regular players don’t have.

The easiest option is to give non-scythe millionaires the scythe feature useable only within their cell. Could be confusing for regular players since they haven’t used the scythe feature before though, would also require bug testing so it doesn’t carry over to other cells.

The other option is to make ‘regular play’ a viable option to grow a cell (when you press the green Start Playing button and work through cubes randomly).

Either way, work would need to be done to allow regular players to grow cells solo. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Oreliel good point. Maybe it’s just open to everyone with a scythe status. No need for a millionaire status then? I think giving the scythe tool when they don’t know how to use it doesn’t make sense, as they don’t have training on it. I feel, like you said, it’s better for scythes, as they have the skills. However, it could be setup for millionaires only too (see below).

@amy definitely!I actually prefer if it’s in Eyewire. It’s easy! Thanks for asking. I don’t see that as an issue. It seems like it would be fun.

Steps:

• Create a sign up sheet for those who want to do it.
  • Cell name’s format: username and time when it expires (a month is adequate). Example (if assigned today): “Hawaiifunsun, exp 7-29-19.”
  • Post a notification to let people know to not work on the cell until after it expires, except for SC’s and scouting (could be done by anyone. If it’s scythe-skill based, like @oreliel mentioned, then they’d by given an extra month for that).

PS - I mean, there would be a little unfairness if it’s a short month, like February, or a cell could be extra big, but people could be warned about those challenges before stepping into them lol.

PSS - people could ask for help on mergers and stuff. Nothing wrong with that

1 Like

Hi there!

Thank you for all the ideas! While we at HQ think it would be very cool to be able to give a millionaire a special cell to work on, we’ve given this some thought and there are a few unfortunate limitations to implementing this proposal.

As Oreliel pointed out, it’d be difficult for a regular (non-scythe) millionaires to grow a cell on their own. We’d have to develop a feature to allow them to scythe because due to the fact that we are a consensus based game, the cell would need more than one player playing cubes on it in order to grow. As Amy pointed out, our current development resources are a bit limited in regards to new features.

Also, we would have a bit of a cell supply issue. There are 200+ millionaires on Eyewire. That’s 200+ cells we would need. To put it in perspective, we average about 97 non-bipolar cells per Dig sector. That’s a lot of extra cells we would need to find, prep and seed!

In the meantime, we can certainly encourage any millionaires’ towards becoming Mystics where they can claim ownership of a cell and grow it themselves. We may have similar Mystic-like gameplay in Neo as well! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi i think it is some simple solutions on the limitations.
I think it would be possible to make a tag that let the cells grow at wt 1 and making it possible for regular players to grow it, would be a issue with retro points, but perhaps manually award a bonus for every non reaped cube when cell is finished? You should already have most of the code for this since lvl 1 cells grow at wt 3 and lvl 2 grow at wt 2. Would be a bit more work for the scythes to cheek and correct any mistakes before they get too big, but players that have played enough to get 1M should be accurate enough for it not beeing a big problem, i think. The cell would ofc also have to not be autoassigned when people log in or run out of cubes, this could be more programing work?

For the cell supply issue, i was looking at the list of the 100 best players and think only 10-15 of them are active at the moment so would probably be more like 30-40 cells for the current millionaires. Also to make the number of cells needed still smaler you could splitt some of the bigger cells. Getting a cell with around 400-500 cubes would be more than enough for a reward and bigger than this would probably mean people would get bored of the same cell before finishing it.

@sorek_m if we do it, how about it only being available to scythe millionaires? I mean, there’s a sign up sheet, so a few people at a time go, not all at once. I heard there isn’t a way to become mystics anymore in the promotions :|, I’ve tried.

@annkri I think the 1st paragraph sounds extremely confusing to implement for me. The 2nd paragraph is genius though. There would be a sign up sheet (as not everyone would be interested), so it’s a smaller # yet (like 20-25). Also, 500 cubes is great. Multiple people work on 1 cell at a time (like 15.6a, b, c, d, etc). When it’s around 500 cubes, it splits and ‘b’ would have another username on that cell, and so on until it’s done.

I guess fort-scythe style works, where scythes reap-grow and SC. But since it takes 2 ppl to SC it, either admins could accept the cell with just one person SCing it or it can be abandoned until time’s up, so others can finish them. As the biggest cells are around 2000 and the smallest is 100s, I’m guessing we need around 10-15 cells.

I heard there isn’t a way to become mystics anymore in the promotions :|, I’ve tried.

hawaii, the GMs are wondering what method you’ve been using to apply for Mystic. :slightly_smiling_face: Mystic promotions occur through HQ during the open promo periods. All you have to do is apply through the form during one of those times, no worries! The next open promo period will be August 14th-29th.

thanks a lot

I’d imagine something like a upgrade system. As you get more points in the millions, your profile gets more fancy to represent the massive amount of points you got :^)

I thought of that too, like better tools to get stuff done in eyewire, or customizations (like name/background color changes, etc.)