EyeWire FAQ For the Newest Players

Hi, I ran across an brief reference when I was researching something else. A part of it struck me as in… there isn’t enough information about the part neurons play in cancer in cells. Projecting a bit with a comparison of the human neuron system with an electrical grid and the issue’s that arise, large and small with that system…, :)…I put it on my list to find out more about and here I am with EyeWire :)…

I know that chemicals are a causative factor in a broad sense for human cancers and mammals. How a wide variety of those or others, affect the neurons is not so well known. I find that drilling down into the root changes is an understudied issue re neurons.

No hurry on finding the articles but as you find any, I would appreciate having a chance to read them. It’s a side interest of mine. :)…One main interest I am active in, is pushing politicians to provide more money for education/money for students and research in science. :)…I look back and only wish that I’d had email a long time ago. lol

Tks for answering my little questions and interests. :)…m

1 Like

Hi, again, almost forgot…age :)…anyway, since tap water is disinfected with chloride and chlormine and there are a few studies on the effect of PPCP’s that are in water also, are the mice neurons that we are tracing from mice that drank tap water or purified water?

If it wasn’t purified water, would there be a difference in the neurons? Tks. No hurry on the answer.

1 Like

Hey mstanley, 

That is a very interesting question. 

I have to say I don’t know much about any correlations between neuron impulses and cancer growth in the rest of the body. I will definitely ask to see if I can find out more for you (on both of those questions) as well as dig for any articles on the topic. 

I’m definitely curious to find out more myself and I will be passing the info on to you as I find it.

Cheers, 
Aleks 
1 Like

Hi,

Someone knows why the cube just disappear while working on it. Quite a few times that I am filling a neuron the cube just disappear and I need to close the program and login again to get a new cube.

Thanks for the help,

Coralia

1 Like

Hi coralialuna,

do you mean the cube disappears from the 3D view on the left while you are playing? In that case, hold ALT and click on the 2D plane on the right. That should re-center the 3D view again.

Or are you getting redirected to the overview with the large spinning neuron? Usually you get there from your cube by pressing Esc… What happens if you click “Start playing” again? Progress of your last cube is saved as long as you don’t reload/refresh the whole page.
1 Like

my 2 d screen is a checkerboard and does not resemble the sample screen. What did I do wrong?

1 Like

Hey there Tennis123! The checkerboard effect is due to a loading issue. Either things are slow on our end or on yours. Has this been a constant thing? Sometimes coming back later will fix the issue. You can try clicking on the gear in the lower right corner of the screen, and fiddling with the computer speed settings. Let us know if this helps!

1 Like

I need some assistance.  I am new to Eyewire and I really think I can enjoy it, if only it would work for me.  I have been able to trace the neuron’s that are missing, but when I attempt to click on the missing neuron, it will not color in and it is very frustrating.  I know that I am tracing the right neuron, because when I click check you work, it show the very neuron I was tracing.  Additionally,  I don’t hear any commentation or music while playing.  I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8.  Is it because I am using a Mac?  

1 Like

Hi and welcome to EyeWire!

EyeWire should work with Mac OS as well, but I think you are using Safari? There are some known issues with the Safari browser… But Chrome, Firefox and Opera should work fine if you can/want to try one of those? :slight_smile:

Happy tracing!
1 Like

“Reset tutorial” doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like

Hi Sunnyway,

Apologies for only seeing your comment today. Are you still having a problem with resetting the tutorial? If so, could you describe a little more about the problem? Bear in mind that we’re in the FAQ sticky thread right now, so you may receive a faster response if you create a new thread or e-mail support@eyewire.org. Thanks.

Devon

1 Like

many players have said that they go to profile>settings>click on “reset tutorial” and nothing happens, they press “start playing” and instead of repeating the tutorials they continue playing “real cell cubes”. I think that’s what Sunnyway means.

1 Like

Ah okay, I know that there are some bugs with the reset tutorial system. I’ll pass along the message to the developers and record this issue. Thanks!

1 Like

My first time here. Safari on mac 10.6.8. Are areas supposed to flash to indicate where to click? Also, nothing happens when I do click.

1 Like

hello i just started to play but i cant coloring, the click is not working. what can i do?

1 Like

Hi there,

Eyewire runs on WebGL which doesn’t work very well with Safari. I suggest using Google Chrome which works best with WebGL.

If changing browsers still doesn’t help, let me know (your browser/system) and we can work on troubleshooting.

Best,
M.
1 Like

My first time here. I just registered, and went through the tutorials. Unable to start coloring. I get nothing. How do I start? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi allisam,

What browser are you using? There are issues with coloring when using Safari browser. After completing the tutorials, you should be given actual cubes when you click “Start Playing”.  It sounds like WebGL must be enabled since you went thru the tutorials. Let me know.

Best,
M.
1 Like

Hello Eye Wire community i just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am not brand new to Eye Wire i have only been here for about 2 weeks now. but i have to say that everything i have done so far and all the people i have met are pretty awesome. learning the basics was pretty difficult but when there are awesome mentors online they can really help you out. I really like what eye wire was founded on on why it is here and i have become addicted to it now.

FOR SCIENCE!

1 Like

Glad you’re here, and welcome!

1 Like