The first Beta Day: Fix for Confusing Submit/Review/Reap Colors

If it’s easier on chris etc I think having the big green button (move on) where it is and having a smaller flag/reap button next to delete seed button (at least for scythe UI for reference) would be as good imho, but let’s see what others say abt it as well :slight_smile:

As to reaping in/from review I think it’s a good thing overall but it suffers from the same “issues” the rest of the game have, with spawner etc. For example if im not mistaken when you review you see what you added vs what is in consensus, but it’s the consensus at the time of submission/validation correct? so if the cube was weight 3 and you submit you see the review at wt 3, but then most of that stuff are no longer in consensus/or they are b/c then spawner processes validation and pushes it to wt 4, but you don’t see review after spawner processes, if im not wrong?

So as susi mentioned it’s not very useful for removing mergers b/c of that reason (if not for others as well) but it can be very useful if one traces a huge bouton/branch/trace gets 20 points and then without reap from review one would have to inspect and if the trace wasn’t a snapper (in after spawner but wasn’t in before so no points) one has to re-trace the whole thing which was…annoying lol.

Now with reap from review at least that’s no longer the case, one turns on review, and reaps. no retracing required, so that’s a good thing imo. I think the one “serious” problem with reap from review is that there’s no new entry button in SL (yet) so one has to reap from review then re-inspect, (after spawner processes it so no retrace required) and log. But it’s a lot less time waste than having to retrace something for ## mins.

I think overall reap from review is a good thing which can ofc in the future be improved upon and I hope that player UX and ew game design can meet half way (at least) and come up with a buttons arrangement/design/UI that is acceptable to both sides (HQ+players).

2 Likes

@Atani @galarun if we removed reap from review then you’d lose the ability to reap your trace without having to redo the cube

Thanks for the responses. There seems to be some confusion in the goal: we are designing to make the site work better, not for aesthetics.

Going with A & D as those seem to be the crowd favourites. Hope this helps with accidental reaps. If issues continue, we will revisit.

This is totally my fav tho

A couple notes about the button placement which I think need to be considered.

1. One goal is to avoid confusion. Players noted that the color, and possibly the placement of the button could create confusion when you are deciding to reap or to move on. I would argue that it may create a greater amount confusion if in regular reap mode the reap button is placed in the middle, but in “review to reap” mode the reap button is relocated off to the side. I think that the color change may be an adequate solution to this problem, and that it should be used in production for awhile before we decide if it is intuitive or not. It is also much easier from a dev perspective to do a color change than a button placement change, which means it makes sense to try this first, and add changes after if the community feels an update is needed.

2. There is a UI space issue that needs to be considered. Right now we have a large button in the middle with a small circle button for “move on.” Replacing the round button with another long shape means we have less space for other things. Consider someone who plays Eyewire on a laptop - will there be room for delete parent, delete child, long reap button, and duplicate button all within that small area? I think that players who play on smaller screens may face overlapping problems which could be avoided by using the current UI.

One last thing to think about: Consider the action sequence of reaping before review mode was introduced. You would play a cube, press submit (middle button), return to overview, reenter the cube, fix the cube, reap (middle button).

IMO reaping from review is a very similar action sequence - play a cube, submit (middle button), click review button, fix the cube, reap (middle button).

Both of the sequences involve pressing a button for one action (submit), taking a 2nd action (return to overview + reenter cube OR click review), then pressing a button in the same location that takes a new action (reap).

To me these actions are very similar in nature, and the only real thing that’s changed is that you now have the option to reap using fewer steps – or to continue playing in a more fluid way without having to switch modes multiple times.

Just some food for thought :slight_smile:

3 Likes